Trending News

Blog Post

News

‘Jeopardy!’ producer Mike Richards steps down as incoming host 


Mike Richards accepts the award for Outstanding Game Show for Jeopardy! during the 48th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards broadcast on June 25, 2021.

Daytime Emmy Awards 2021 | Getty Images Entertainment | Getty Images

“Jeopardy!” executive producer Mike Richards said Friday he no longer plans to become the next host of the long-running trivia show.

The news comes just days after it was revealed that he made comments about women, Jews and people with mental disabilities on a podcast he hosted from 2013 to 2014.

Production of the show has been canceled and the search for a permanent replacement for the late Alex Trebek will resume. Richards said guest hosts will return in order for production on the current season to continue.

“I want to apologize to each of you for the unwanted negative attention that has come to ‘Jeopardy!’ over the last few weeks and for the confusion and delays this is now causing,” Richards said in a memo to staff members of the show. “I know I have a lot of work to do to regain your trust and confidence.”

Sony confirmed that Richards will remain EP of the series.

“We support Mike’s decision to step down as host,” the company said in a statement Friday. “We have spoken with him about our concerns and our expectations moving forward.”

Mayim Bialik will continue in her role as the host of ‘Jeopardy!’ prime-time and spinoff series.

On Thursday, Richards, 46, admitted his “thoughtlessness” and “insensitivity” after an article Wednesday by The Ringer detailed the derogatory statements made on “The Randumb Show.” The podcast, which had 41 episodes, was taken offline by Richards on Tuesday after he was contacted by The Ringer for comment about the show.

This is not the first time the executive producer has come under scrutiny since rumors circulated earlier this month that he could become the new “Jeopardy!” host.

During Richards’ tenure as an executive producer of “The Price is Right,” a discrimination lawsuit was filed by Brandi Cochran in 2010 against CBS and FremantleMedia. The suit claimed that the model was not invited back to the show after she took time off for her pregnancy. The case was ultimately settled, but Richards faced additional pregnancy discrimination claims beyond Cochran, which were not successful.

Additionally, many called into question Richards qualifications for the hosting gig, as well as his influence over the process in selecting Trebek’s replacement.

Here is the statement provided to CNBC that Richards shared with the Jeopardy staff this morning:

It pains me that these past incidents and comments have cast such a shadow on Jeopardy! as we look to start a new chapter. 

As I mentioned last week, I was deeply honored to be asked to host the syndicated show and was thrilled by the opportunity to expand my role. However, over the last several days it has become clear that moving forward as host would be too much of a distraction for our fans and not the right move for the show. As such, I will be stepping down as host effective immediately. As a result, we will be canceling production today.

SPT will now resume the search for a permanent syndicated host. In the meantime, we will be bringing back guest hosts to continue production for the new season, details of which will be announced next week.

I want to apologize to each of you for the unwanted negative attention that has come to Jeopardy! over the last few weeks and for the confusion and delays this is now causing. I know I have a lot of work to do to regain your trust and confidence. 

This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.



Source link

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *